One of the most popular comfort meals is macaroni and cheese. If you feel that baked versions are superior than stovetop versions, then this recipe is for you. John Legend shared with Martha Stewart this wonderful, creamy dish. Macaroni, two types of cheese (extra-sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack), evaporated milk, and seasonings are mixed and baked in layers. A dusting of paprika and a final coating of cheese provide a beautiful golden hue.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (8-ounce) packages extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (8-ounce) package Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Paprika, for sprinkling
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter lavishly a 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish and lay aside. Bring a big saucepan of water to a boil, then add macaroni and salt. Cook until al dente according to package guidelines. Drain, then return to the pot. Add butter and stir pasta until butter has melted and pasta is covered; put aside.
- Step 2 Whisk together evaporated milk, skim milk, and eggs in a medium bowl. Add seasoning salt, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, then leave away. In a second medium dish, mix the cheeses and set aside.
- Step 3 Place one-third of the macaroni in an equal layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish; top with one-third of the cheese. Repeat the process with the leftover macaroni and cheese mixture. Pour milk mixture evenly over dish’s contents. Sprinkle with paprika. 35 to 45 minutes, or until the top is gently browned. Allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before to serving.