Brought this to a football-watching party, and it was a great crowd-pleaser.
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen bite-size potato nuggets (such as Tater Tots®)
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (Optional)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, or to taste (Optional)
Oops! We cannot find any ingredients on sale near you. Do we have the correct zip code?
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Arrange potato nuggets in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels and chop coarsely.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat; add shallot and cook until fragrant. Stir in flour and cook until light golden, about 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and 2 tablespoons sour cream; stir until smooth and thick, about 5 minutes. Season with black pepper and nutmeg. Stir in 1 cup Cheddar cheese until fully melted.
- Transfer potatoes to a 9×13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle bacon on top. Pour cheese sauce over the potatoes. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven just until cheese melts, about 7 minutes. Remove from the oven; top with green onions and 2 tablespoons sour cream.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
What goes good with tater tots?
Crunchy tots are a great complement to any sandwich, but they really shine when used with melted cheese in a grilled cheese. You and your child can customise the meat and cheese fillings to suit your tastes. Tots enhance the flavour of grilled ham and Swiss or turkey cheddar melt sandwiches.