A traditional banana split consists of three scoops each of vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate ice cream, a chopped banana, and various syrups, whipped toppings, and dried fruit. The ice cream is placed in between two halves of a banana, hence the name. You may make this dish your own by swapping up the ice cream flavours and toppings from the original recipe to ones that better suit your palate.
- 1 banana
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
- 1 scoop chocolate ice cream
- 1 scoop strawberry ice cream
- Chocolate syrup, garnish
- Marshmallow creme, garnish
- Whipped cream, garnish
- Chopped lightly toasted nuts, garnish
- 3 maraschino cherries
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- Peel the banana and slice it in half lengthwise. Place the banana slices against the sides of a long, narrow, shallow dish.
- Place the scoops of ice cream in a row between the banana slices.
- Squirt the chocolate syrup on the vanilla and strawberry ice cream.
- Spoon the marshmallow creme over the chocolate ice cream.
- Top everything with the whipped cream. Sprinkle it all with nuts and top each mound of ice cream with a cherry.
- Swap one or more of the ice cream flavors for any of your favorites, like pistachio, cookies and cream, or cherry ice cream.
- Try different syrups like butterscotch, caramel, or strawberry sauce.
- A variety of chopped, toasted nuts like peanuts, pecans, almonds, or pistachios are delicious sprinkled on top.
- Add other toppings like toasted coconut or sprinkles.
- The long, narrow banana dishes can be found in your local grocery or home goods store, but if you don’t have this specific shaped dish, you can use a large bowl and cut the bananas as needed to fit. It will not be the traditional presentation but will be just as delicious.
- If you’d like to set up a banana split bar, arrange all of the ingredients on a table or buffet in the order they are used, starting with the dishes and ending with the spoons. Let everyone make their own banana split for a fun, interactive dessert.